Staying away from the stove is a summer requirement. Fast cooking meals like stir-fry, make light work in the kitchen. It’s a great way to use up leftovers. Vegetarian: Substitute extra firm tofu for flank steak.
SUMMER STIR FRY
PREP: 15 minutes (not including rice)
COOK: 10 minutes
YIELD: 4 servings
- 1 pound cooked flank steak * see Meal #1
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Cut vegetables; onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery, zucchini
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup water
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
3 medium carrots, grated or thinly sliced into matchsticks
3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, grated or thinly sliced into matchsticks
1 pound (about 2 cups diced) cooked flank steak
2 cups cooked brown rice (link to brown rice recipe on TheFresh20)
2 Tablespoons fresh basil, shredded
- Combine soy sauce, water and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick sauté pan over medium/ high heat and add oil. Once oil is hot, add in onion, garlic, and salt & pepper. Stir to mix and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Turn the heat down to low and add red bell peppers, carrots, celery, and zucchini. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables have softened, but are still a little crisp.
- Add steak and cook an additional 3-4 minutes to warm through.
- Toss with soy sauce mixture and serve over brown rice. Garnish with fresh basil.
Substitute extra firm tofu for flank steak.