I introduced my kids to this ground lamb before moving on to the more distinctive flavor of lamb chops and roasts. They call it the “good ground beef” and ask for these tacos often during the spring. I implore you to try it before assuming the kids won’t enjoy this tender meat. Many are happily surprised.
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 corn tortillas, 6-inch taco size
- 2 cups Cucumber Yogurt Sauce (see Prep Ahead, page 20)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- Heat a 10- to 12-inch skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Add the onion and sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the ground lamb and season with the salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano, stirring to combine. Cook until the lamb is browned and no longer pink inside, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. If necessary, drain a little fat from the pan or blot it up with a paper towel.
- To soften, heat the tortillas wrapped in wet paper towels in the microwave for 30 seconds, or place one by one in a lightly oiled pan and heat for 10 seconds per side.
- Spoon 3 Tablespoons of the lamb into each tortilla followed by 2 Tablespoons of the yogurt sauce. Top with the chopped bell pepper.
- Arrange the tacos on a serving platter.
- Dairy-Free conversion: omit yogurt sauce and serve with cucumber sticks
- Serving Size: 4