Corn tortillas slathered with our simple, homemade enchilada sauce, then filled with chicken and spinach and topped with cheese, baked to perfection.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces baby spinach leaves (6
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons mild chili powder
- 3 1/2 cups gluten free low sodium
- chicken broth, warmed
- 3 cups roasted chicken, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey jack cheese,
- shredded, divided
- 12 (6”) organic corn tortillas
- Heat a large, nonstick sauté pan over medium heat and add 2 teaspoons oil. Once the oil is hot, add spinach and cook until wilted and most of the moisture has cooked out, about 4 – 6 minutes.
- Remove the spinach from the pan and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any remaining moisture. Once cooled give it a rough chop.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Lightly oil a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix tomato paste, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper; stir to combine and set aside.
- Heat a large, nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Add 3 Tablespoons oil, whole wheat flour, and chili powder; stir to combine until it becomes a thick paste. Add in tomato paste mixture and stir to combine.
- Slowly add in hot broth while whisking to dissolve the flour mixture. Continue whisking while adding in all the broth.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, cooked spinach, 1 cup of cheese, and 1 cup of sauce.
- Stack tortillas and wrap in damp paper towels or a clean dish towel; microwave on high until warm.
- Spoon 1 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Fill each tortilla with a heaping ¼ cup of filling; roll up tightly and arrange, seam side down, in prepared baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of cheese.
- Cover with foil and place into the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 5 additional minutes to melt the cheese. Serve 2 enchiladas per person with a side of sliced mango.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40