These easy, homemade biscuits are soft, buttery, and made completely from scratch.
- 3/4 cup organic milk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups whole wheat white flour (plus extra for cutting board)
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 2 Tablespoons freshly chopped herbs like chives, rosemary, or sage (optional)
- 1/4 cup cheddar, shredded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine milk and lemon juice and set aside for five minutes.
- Whisk or sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) If using herbs, add now.
- With a fork, (or pastry cutter if you roll like a baker) cut in butter to flour until mealy. It should look crumbly.
- If adding cheese, fold in now.
- Mix in milk until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Flour a cutting board and place dough on board in a heap. Press down to flatten or use a rolling pin to quickly roll out. I just use my hands to press down to about 3/4 inch thick.
- Use a drinking glass to cut out biscuits. Keep working dough and cutting until gone. The last bit of dough is perfect for using as a taste tester.
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet and let sit for five minutes. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until golden. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 biscuit
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Sodium: 332mg
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5g
- Carbohydrates: 30.3g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Cholesterol: 33mg