Creamy avocado, crunchy onions, tangy lime and sweet tomatoes that smell like the garden get sandwiched between a crisp tortilla, a layer of kidney beans and a fried egg topped with cheese.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 head butter lettuce, torn in small pieces
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/4 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 15oz cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded raw-milk cheddar cheese
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped (optional)
For the tortillas:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Brush the tortillas with olive oil on both sides. Arrange in a large baking sheet and bake, turning once, for about 6 minutes, or until slightly browned. Set aside.
For the lettuce:
- In a small bowl, toss the lettuce with the lime juice, salt and parsley. Set aside.
For the guacamole:
- Mash the avocados in a small bowl. Mix in the onion, garlic, and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
For the eggs:
- Heat the oil in a 10-12 inch skillet and fry the eggs to the desired doneness; I recommend over easy. Season the eggs.
- To assemble tostadas, layer the guacamole, kidney beans, and lettuce mixture on the tortillas, then top with the eggs, cheese and red peppers (optional).