Easy Summer Meal: Guacamole Tostadas
We’re officially into the ‘dog days’ of summer. The longest, hottest, most humid days are the ones that make me crave refreshing, light meals that celebrate the silver lining those hot days give us — a bounty of delicious, ripe produce.
Queue these guacamole tostadas.
Creamy avocado, crunchy onions, tangy lime and sweet tomatoes that smell like the garden get sandwiched between a crisp tortilla, a layer of kidney beans and a fried egg topped with cheese. I can’t think of anything that sounds better as we make our way through the end of July and August.
Building the Perfect Healthy Tostada
When that craving for guacamole and way too many chips hits, these tostadas will hit the spot without the guilt. This time of year I typically have all of the ingredients hanging out in the fridge and pantry on any given day. As long as you have a tortilla, avocados and eggs, you can make some variation of this easy meal.
This meal nourishes the body just as well as it does the senses. Packed with protein, healthy fat, fiber and a small hit of carbs, it’s going to keep you full and firing on all cylinders with plenty of energy for several hours. You can use whatever you have on hand — any can of beans and veggies — as long as you hit one ingredient from each of the categories I listed out. This combo is magical for keeping you full and satisfied for long periods of time.
Do you want to try our FREE
20 ingredient meal plans?
My Favorite Guacamole Tostada Recipe
I like to crank up some Latin tunes and celebrate the process of making tasty food that I know is going to do so many good things for my body.
If you make a rice bowl, we’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #THEFRESH20 so we can see what’s cooking in your kitchen.Print
- Total Time: 16 minutes
- Yield: 4 tostadas 1x
Creamy avocado, crunchy onions, tangy lime and sweet tomatoes that smell like the garden get sandwiched between a crisp tortilla, a layer of kidney beans and a fried egg topped with cheese.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 head butter lettuce, torn in small pieces
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/4 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 15oz cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded raw-milk cheddar cheese
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped (optional)
For the tortillas:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Brush the tortillas with olive oil on both sides. Arrange in a large baking sheet and bake, turning once, for about 6 minutes, or until slightly browned. Set aside.
For the lettuce:
- In a small bowl, toss the lettuce with the lime juice, salt and parsley. Set aside.
For the guacamole:
- Mash the avocados in a small bowl. Mix in the onion, garlic, and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
For the eggs:
- Heat the oil in a 10-12 inch skillet and fry the eggs to the desired doneness; I recommend over easy. Season the eggs.
- To assemble tostadas, layer the guacamole, kidney beans, and lettuce mixture on the tortillas, then top with the eggs, cheese and red peppers (optional).
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 6
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 tostada
- Calories: 553
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 559mg
- Fat: 43.5g
- Saturated Fat: 13.2g
- Carbohydrates: 24.7g
- Fiber: 9.1g
- Protein: 17.3g
- Cholesterol: 216mg