A pantry staple, this silky, flavorful DIY chicken broth is nutrient-dense and versatile for addition to endless dinner recipes.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 4 medium carrots
- 3 medium celery stocks
- 8 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 four pound chicken cut into pieces
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and saute for 5 minutes until edges start to brown.
- Add chicken and water, bring to simmer and cover.
- Simmer 45 minutes to an hour, skimming any foam or fat off the top.
- Remove chicken, let cool and remove meat. You can add the bones back into broth and simmer an additional 30 minutes. Strain thru fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes