Vietnamese shrimp noodle soup of subtly sweet and aromatic broth, rice noodles and fresh, vibrant garnishes including lime and jalapeño.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- ½ jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled w/ tail on
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 40 ounces chicken or vegetable stock (5 cups)
- 1 cup parsley leaves (use whole stalk as it will be removed prior to serving)
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (or pure maple syrup)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 8 mushrooms (cremini or button) cut in half
- 8 oz rice noodles (dry)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and jalapeno, cooking for an additional minute.
- Toss in shrimp (or chicken) and ginger then cook for one minute before pouring in stock.
- Add parsley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add soy sauce, maple syrup and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add mushrooms.
- Drop in rice noodles and cook for 5 minutes or until noodles are soft but not mushy.
- Remove most of the parsley with a spoon before dividing into 4 bowls.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, sliced jalapeno and cucumbers
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 17