- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1” pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 8 beefsteak tomatoes, cored, cut into large pieces
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 ounces dry whole wheat spaghetti
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot. Add onion, bell pepper, and carrots and cook 5 minutes until softened. Smash garlic cloves with flat side of knife and add to pot.
- Stir in 2 cups of vegetable broth, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and oregano to stockpot with remaining 2 cups of broth. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and cool slightly. In batches, add sauce to food processor or blender and puree until no large chunks remain.
- Return pureed sauce to pot and add salt and pepper.