Best Vegan Bolognese
Pasta night will always be dinnertime comfort at our house. This meat-free alternative to traditional bolognese is a plant based recipe win! Plus, I’ve noticed over the past few years that there’s a soaring amount of sodium in store-bought sauce, and a major increase in sugar so I’m sticking to homemade pasta sauce!
This iconic family dinner will not be lost to sugar and salt loaded options if I have any say in it. I put together this easy recipe on a mission to serve a healthy, beautiful pasta bolognese that hits the mark for flavor and satisfaction, so you don’t have to trade health for convenience at the dinner table.
Best Homemade Pasta Sauce
The best recipes are all about balance. So, starting with vibrant beefsteak tomatoes that are large, juicy and incredibly tasty right off the vine, I like to add some sweetness with carrots and a peppery depth with green bell peppers. All of these flavors cook low and slow allowing fresh tomatoes shine, and the result is a silky, crave-able sauce.
Vegan Pasta Bolognese Recipe
This entire meal comes together in under 30 minutes, and tastes like it’s been simmering for hours.Print
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, cut into large chunks
1 green bell pepper, cut into large chunks
2 medium carrots, cut into 1” pieces
4 cloves garlic, peeled
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
8 beefsteak tomatoes, cored, cut into large pieces
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper
8 ounces dry whole wheat spaghetti
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot. Add onion, bell pepper, and carrots and cook 5 minutes until softened. Smash garlic cloves with flat side of knife and add to pot.
- Stir in 2 cups of vegetable broth, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and oregano to stockpot with remaining 2 cups of broth. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and cool slightly. In batches, add sauce to food processor or blender and puree until no large chunks remain.
- Return pureed sauce to pot and add salt and pepper.