Easy, Healthy Family Meal
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 8 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small jalapeno, cut in half and seeds removed
- 1 Tablespoon oregano (dried or fresh)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of roasted green chiles
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 30-ounce can hominy or 2 cans (14 oz) garbanzo beans
- 1 lime, cut into wedges for garnish
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil, then add sliced onion, garlic, and jalapeno.
- Stir occasionally, sautéing for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken thighs.
- Cover chicken with oregano, green chiles, tomatoes and hominy/beans.
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Pour in broth.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot, close the steam vent and set to HIGH pressure using the manual setting for 10 minutes. When the timer goes off, carefully release the pressure using quick release.
- Serve with lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
- If you’re not familiar with hominy, it’s made from corn kernels that are dried and then soaked in lime or lye to remove the outer hull. This is the key ingredient in many traditional South American soups and can be found in canned form in most markets. It’s low in sugar, high in fiber and has about half the calories of rice.
- Serving Size: 4