I love how simple cooking in a Crockpot or Instant Pot can be when I’m short on time. Uncomplicated meals with very little preparation are perfect for those of us with active lifestyles. Coming home to a warm, healthy family dinner is the absolute biggest relief on days when our schedules get hectic.
Easy & Healthy Recipes for Instant Pot and Slow Cooker
With that in mind, I’m sharing some of my favorite slow cooker and Instant pot recipes throughout the month because stressing about “what’s for dinner” should take a back seat to Fall festivities with family and friends. And let’s face it, this time of year, keeping a healthy lifestyle on track can be overwhelming and seemingly impossible.
Instant Pot Skinny Chicken
Dig into this healthy Instant Pot Chicken recipe to satisfy a comfort food craving without any guilt. It’s a low calorie, high protein meal that will keep you warmed up as the weather cools down. Slow Cooker instructions included.
This quick and simple to prepare clean eating recipe is gluten-free, dairy free and sugar free.
Do you want to try our FREE
20 ingredient meal plans?
If you make this recipe, we’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #THEFRESH20 so we can see what’s cooking in your kitchen.Print
Skinny Instant Pot Chicken
Easy, Healthy Family Meal
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 8 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small jalapeno, cut in half and seeds removed
- 1 Tablespoon oregano (dried or fresh)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of roasted green chiles
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 30-ounce can hominy or 2 cans (14 oz) garbanzo beans
- 1 lime, cut into wedges for garnish
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil, then add sliced onion, garlic, and jalapeno.
- Stir occasionally, sautéing for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken thighs.
- Cover chicken with oregano, green chiles, tomatoes and hominy/beans.
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Pour in broth.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot, close the steam vent and set to HIGH pressure using the manual setting for 10 minutes. When the timer goes off, carefully release the pressure using quick release.
- Serve with lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
- If you’re not familiar with hominy, it’s made from corn kernels that are dried and then soaked in lime or lye to remove the outer hull. This is the key ingredient in many traditional South American soups and can be found in canned form in most markets. It’s low in sugar, high in fiber and has about half the calories of rice.
- Serving Size: 4