I call this gratitude granola. Not only because it always gives me a sense of joy when I make a batch but because it’s the gift by which I say “Thank you!”
Homemade granola is rather simple to make and gives so much flexibility in choosing ingredients you love. I make mine with maple syrup. I like the nutty sweetness it adds and it makes it vegan.
A batch makes about two 16 ounce mason jars.
Naturally sweetened, crunchy and satisfying homemade granola
- 1–1/2 cups organic maple syrup (or honey)
- ½ cup filtered water
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 ½ cups pecans or macadamia nuts
- 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Optional: 1 cup semi sweet chips or chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350º.
- Adjust the top rack to the middle of the oven.
- Whisk together maple syrup and water in a large mixing bowl until combined.
- Add in oats and toss with liquid.
- Fold in coconut, and pecans.
- Arrange mixture on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for twenty minutes, or until almost golden. Remove from oven. LET COOL.
- Add in cherries and chocolate (if using)
- Can be stored in an air-tight container for several weeks.