Meal Prep Mason Jar Salads
If you have an extra 10 minutes this weekend, spend it on your meal prep. I don’t know about you, but taking the daily “what’s for lunch” or “what’s for dinner” question out of the equation makes my life less stressful, more healthy, and happier. My whole mission in founding The Fresh 20 was to share the secrets of successful meal prep and meal planning with you.
And that’s where this salad comes in. A fresh, vibrant, healthy lunch that you can prep in 10 minutes for the entire week. The sigh of relief you feel when you grab this nutritious salad from the fridge on a busy day, knowing that you’ll be nourishing your body and the the work is already done, will amaze you.
Building a Mason Jar Salad
Mason jar salads are totally customizable. You can add whatever protein you like, just keep in mind that cooked chicken should be consumed within 4 days, and steak within 2. (That shredded chicken from your homemade chicken broth works beautifully here!) Beans have the best lasting power, so that’s our go-to. You can also add a layer of grains. I love quinoa and Israeli couscous in mason jar salads.
A few tips for building your mason jar salads:
- Prep all your ingredients first.
- Use wide-mouth jars to make layering easier.
- Layer hard veggies or fruits on the bottom, and add grains over them if you’re using any
- Add herbs or lettuces at the top so they don’t wilt.
Easy Mason Jar Salad Recipe for Meal Prep
Enjoying this salad is as easy as adding dressing, giving it a shake and emptying the jar into a bowl!
If you make this recipe, we’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #THEFRESH20 so we can see what’s cooking in your kitchen.Print
Fresh, easy meal prep salad with crisp cucumbers and celery, creamy beans and tangy dressing.
- 2 ribs celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 (15 oz) cans low sodium black, white or kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- ½ red onion, chopped (½ cup)
- 1 cucumber, chopped (2 cups)
- ½ cup basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
- black pepper to taste
- Whisk dressing ingredients together until smooth and divide equally into four mason jars.
- In each jar, layer salad ingredients on top of dressing starting with the celery, then black beans,
onions, cucumber, and basil. Seal tightly and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Dump into a bowl and toss slightly. Garnish with hard-boiled eggs. Enjoy!