Spice Up Your Summer Entertaining: Spicy Hummus
I used to be that person that bought a mega-sized tub of hummus, plopped it into a pretty bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and served it up to my friends and family (and honestly, there’s no shame in that!)
If I had known that making my own hummus would take only 5 minutes and leave everyone begging for the recipe, I would have been doing that ALL ALONG. And this one, you guys, is perfection.
A hint of spice and hot-sauce tang takes it from standard to seriously delicious.
Secrets to the perfect hummus
It’s been years since I bought hummus from the store. There’s just no comparison between what I can make at home and what you get in a package. Along the way, I’ve learned a few secrets to the perfect consistency and the right ratios.
First of all, you don’t HAVE to have tahini! Straight up sesame seeds do the trick.
The second thing to consider is that traditional Middle Eastern and Mediterranean hummus has a whipped, light consistency. Don’t be afraid to really let your food processor work its magic. If your spicy hummus is pasty, add a bit of water, a tablespoon at a time, to loosen it up and get it creamy.
Easy Hummus Variations:
If spicy heat isn’t your thing, here are some other ideas to add in:
- A head of roasted, peeled garlic
- A half of a roasted red pepper
- 1 tablespoon za’atar (a Middle Eastern spice blend)
- 1 tablespoon of sweet paprika
- a few leaves of basil
Do you want to try our FREE
20 ingredient meal plans?
If you make a rice bowl, we’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #THEFRESH20 so we can see what’s cooking in your kitchen.Print
- Total Time: 4 minutes
Light and creamy hummus with a tangy, spicy heat
- 2 cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed + drained
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup hot sauce of choice (I use Frank’s)
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- If necessary, add more water a Tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer to serving bowl and serve with sliced peppers, cucumbers and celery.
- Prep Time: 4 minutes