Some days you just want something light and refreshing. Gazpacho is the answer. The cucumber, tomato, strawberry mix provides so much flavor in the easiest of soups.
side: whole wheat dinner rolls
PREP: 20 minutes
COOK: 0 minutes
YIELD: 4 servings
- Cut vegetables: tomato, cucumber, red bell pepper
For Strawberry Gazpacho
3 pounds medium ripe summer tomatoes, cored
1 medium cucumber, peeled
1 medium red bell pepper, core and seeds removed
¼ medium red onion
2 garlic cloves, peeled
½ bunch fresh parsley, long stems removed
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled
½ jalapeno chile pepper, less if you are sensitive to spice/heat
1 medium lemon, juiced
1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup water (optional, for consistency)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 whole wheat dinner rolls
For strawberry gazpacho
- Combine tomatoes, cucumber, red bell pepper, red onion, garlic, parsley, strawberries, and jalapeno in a blender or food processor and purée until relatively smooth, depending on preference of consistency. For a chunky version, pulse instead of puree.
- Add half of the lemon juice, half of the vinegar and ½ of the salt. Blend. Taste. Adjust as necessary by adding a little more and tasting. If too thick, add a little water.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in olive oil by hand. Refrigerate for at least 20-25 minutes.
- Serve in bowls, teacups or drinking glasses with whole wheat dinner rolls.