Easy & Delicious Egg Toasts
You know what separates a bad cook from a good cook? It’s not culinary school, or fancy gadgets. It’s the art of being able to make something really simple taste really wonderful. Sometimes editing a dish to just a few beautiful ingredients and highlighting them with basic cooking techniques is the key to creating a really special meal.
And these Italian egg toasts, they do that. A few insanely easy steps make bread, eggs and herbs a crave-able, stunning breakfast. All you need to prep this dish is a drinking glass and a frying pan.
Hot Breakfast in 5 minutes
Italian egg toasts are perfect for the end of the week because you can dress them up with whatever’s leftover in the fridge, from roasted vegetables, salsas, any protein, fresh vegetables, a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, avocado, or a sprinkle of cheese (my fav is Parmesan).
So the trick to this is using your drinking glass to press and twist out a circle of bread, and then fill that hole with an egg. I like mine a tad runny to dip that circle of bread into, and my sons like them cooked a bit more firm. You can adjust your cook time to fit your egg preference. This dish only takes 5 minutes MAX from start to finish!
Do you want to try our FREE
20 ingredient meal plans?
Italian Egg Toast Recipe
These Italian egg toasts are a huge hit in my house, with a perfect balance of protein and carbs (and amazing flavor) to keep us fueled up for whatever’s in store. The crunchy toast, creamy egg and savory, aromatic herbs make this breakfast a healthy, satisfying meal.
If you make this recipe, we’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #THEFRESH20 so we can see what’s cooking in your kitchen.Print
Italian Egg Toasts
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
A 5-minute breakfast recipe of creamy eggs nestled in the center of crisp, toasted bread and topped with aromatic Italian seasoning.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (or butter)
- 2 slices whole wheat bakery bread (not sandwich loaf)
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- dash of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- optional: 4 leaves fresh garden basil or fresh garden herb
- Press a hole in the center of each slice of bread using a 2-1/2 inch diameter drinking glass or a biscuit cutter.
- Heat the oil in a 10-12” skillet over medium heat.
- Arrange bread in bottom of pan. Brown on one side then flip.
- Crack an egg into the bread hole without breaking the yolk.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook egg for two minutes and then flip, season with Italian seasoning and cook for one minute.
- Remove and serve while yolk is a little soft. Serve with bread cut outs.
- Prep Time: 1
- Cook Time: 4
- Category: breakfast