Perfect Meal Prep Roasted Veggies
Roasted vegetables are one of my very favorite things — not just my favorite way to cook veggies — but one of my very favorite dishes in general. The caramelized tips and edges that add a hint of sweetness along with the soft crunch enhance the fresh flavors and transform them into irresistible warm, savory bites.
In my kitchen, roasted vegetables find their way onto the menu for three reasons.
1. Because I love them and it’s dinnertime.
2. We don’t like to let anything go to waste. If Sunday rolls around and we have a a bit of bell pepper, a few mushrooms, half a zucchini and other produce in the fridge, roasting gives them another few days of shelf life. Any veggies I have go on a sheet pan and into the oven.
3. I’m meal prepping. Roasted vegetables are so versatile for meal prep bowls. Over rice, drizzled with a balsamic reduction, on a salad, or next to a lean protein.
Secrets to the best Roasted Vegetables
There are just a few key techniques to keep in mind for the dreamiest, most delicious roasted vegetables.
1. Create a rainbow. Try to get a bunch of different colors onto the pan. It will ensure that you’re getting the balance range of vitamins, nutrients and flavors.
2. Cut all vegetables in similar sizes, depending on their density.
Smaller pieces: Root vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, beets, parsnips and turnips
Medium pieces: Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and broccoli
Alliums, including onions and garlic
Large Pieces: Nightshades, including bell peppers, eggplant and tomatoes
Asparagus and mushrooms, which are in families of their own!
3. Preheat your oven. I know this seems like a no-brainer, but if your oven is not up to temperature you’ll lose out on the caramelization that makes these vegetables so tasty.
Easy Roasted Vegetable with Aioli Recipe
These easy and delicious roasted veggies are perfect for dipping into a tangy aioli (recipe included!), as a dinner side, or in your weekly meal prep bowls!
If you make this recipe, we’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #THEFRESH20 so we can see what’s cooking in your kitchen.Print
A rainbow of easy and delicious roasted vegetables with a tangy, creamy aioli.
- 3 zucchini, cut lengthwise into ½’ thick slices
- 16 spears asparagus
- 2 red bell pepper, cored and cut into long slices
- 2 yellow or orange bell pepper, cored and cut into long slices
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, partial stem removed
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, grated or mashed to a paste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1–½ cups extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange vegetables on parchment lined baking sheets (mushrooms & asparagus together)
- Toss vegetables with olive oil, salt and pepper until well coated.
- Roast 25 to 30 minutes (mushroom/asparagus for 10-15 minutes only)
- Toss all periodically while roasting.
- Combine garlic, lemon juice and salt in a blender or food processor.
- Add eggs/yolks and blend until combined.
- Slowly add olive oil in a thin, steady stream.