8 Vegetable Stir Fry
Have you ever had one of those days when your body is just begging you for some veggies? Maybe you’ve been struggling to get the full 2.5 cups of vegetables in your diet for a few days and you need to catch up. Or maybe you enjoy a plant-based diet and are looking for a simple, delicious weeknight dinner.
This vegetarian stir fry comes together in under 15 minutes, making it a smart option for a quick and easy dinner. In my house, we’ll often whip this up for a Saturday lunch to make use of leftover produce from the week and to keep our vegetable intake up when we’re not using The Fresh 20 Monday to Friday meal plan. With carrots, cauliflower, garlic, mushrooms, edamame, bell peppers, garlic and bok choy, each portion meets the recommended daily intake of veggies!
Easy meat-free dinner
Cooking a vegetarian meal doesn’t mean you have to forego high quality protein. Cooked soy beans (edmame) contain over 18 grams of protein per cup. On top of that, they provide all the essential amino acids your needs to obtain from food — which most other plant proteins don’t fully provide.
Along with that, the fiber content from a vegetable-based meal will keep you feeling full and energized longer, while allowing your body the time it needs to make use of all those rich vitamins and nutrients. This is also a recipe I keep on hand for back-to-school season when we’re all being exposed to more germs than usual.
A cup of red bell pepper contain almost 3 times the vitamin C of an orange (I know, mind-blowing!), making it one of the best veggies to load up on in the Fall and Winter seasons. Once they cook just a bit, their natural sugar becomes almost buttery in flavor. Add to that the earthiness of mushrooms, aromatic garlic and onions, crisp bok choy, a splash of soy sauce and a pinch of spicy red pepper, you’ll be happier than ever to be feasting on this satisfying dinner!
15 Minute Vegetarian Stir Fry
The best thing about this meal is that it comes together in under 15 minutes, and you can add whichever veggies you like to suit your taste!
If you make this recipe, we’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #THEFRESH20 so we can see what’s cooking in your kitchen.Print
Flavorful, satisfying vegetable stir fry
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced lengthwise (2 cups)
- 1 carrot, shredded (⅓ cup)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced (1 cup)
- ¼ head cauliflower florets (1 cup)
- 1 pound brown mushrooms, sliced (5–6 cups)
- 2½ cups frozen edamame, thawed
- 3 pounds bok choy, bottom removed, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes, optional
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, warmed
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan and add garlic; sauté over medium heat for 1 minute. Add bell peppers, carrots, and onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, mushrooms, edamame, bok choy, soy sauce, parsley, and chili flakes. Cook for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve stir-fry over warmed brown rice and garnish with more fresh parsley if desired