Almond Butter Pancakes
The Sunday pancake/waffle tradition in the Lanz household goes back years. With time, we’ve found our tried-and-true rotation of beloved recipes that keep us looking forward to our house smelling like maple syrup and sweet skillet heat on the weekends. From these paleo and gluten-free skillet pancakes to these lightly spiced sweet potato pancakes with blueberry compote, and now this new favorite almond butter pancake recipe, we consider ourselves connoisseurs.
Some might say a pancake is a pancake, but there are a few things that make these pancakes special. They’ve got a delicious, nutty almond flavor, and an extra hit of protein thanks to the almond butter.
Fluffy Almond Meal Prep Pancakes
My boys really love these. They’re awesome for the summertime when you need to load up on energy for a day of swimming or working in the garden. Every time we make them, we double the recipe and keep a stash in the freezer. My kids have been known to grab a few from the freezer and, when they come out of the toaster, sandwich more almond butter and bananas or apples between them. If that’s not something to wake up looking forward to, I don’t know what is!
By the way, let’s talk teens. Did you know an active teen boy needs 2,800 to 3,200 calories per day? Active girls need up to 2,400 calories. It’s easy to meet those numbers with pop tarts and processed breakfasts, but what makes me feel great at the end of the day is knowing each and every one of those calories (okay, maybe just the ones in my control) were healthy, nourishing fuel for growth.
Freezer Almond Pancakes Recipe
While my dietary needs are much different, providing high protein, satisfying and filling meals can sometimes be even harder than ones that are low cal. Healthy nut butter fat and protein, whole grains, eggs, cococnut oil and natural sugar are all ingredients that make me proud to serve to my family.
If you make this recipe, we’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #THEFRESH20 so we can see what’s cooking in your kitchen.Print
Fluffy, nourishing, protein packed almond pancakes with apple compote.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- dash of kosher salt
- 1 1/8 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed or coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond butter (can sub any nut butter)
- 3 apples, sliced
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat milk slightly and whisk in nut butter until smooth, then add egg, syrup, vanilla and oil.
- Whisk in whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt.
- Heat a griddle to medium low heat.
- Pour about 3-4 Tablespoons of batter for each pancake and cook about 2 minutes per side until browned.
- Serve with apple compote and more syrup if desired
- Cook sliced apples over medium heat with 1/4 cup water and 3 Tablespoons syrup until soft and thickened.
Be sure not to over mix.
Cooked pancakes freeze well