Favorite Egg Breakfast Burritos
With two teen boys in the house, a hearty breakfast is more important than ever. We all need a meal packed with protein, carbohydrates and even a bit of fat to fuel our minds and bodies for whatever the day may bring. And trust me, no one wants to be hangry when you’re parenting, or to be parenting hangry teens.
So we start our days with these egg burritos. They’re a hit for everyone with savory and lean turkey sausage, melted cheese, fluffy eggs and the crunch of bell peppers. They’ll leave you feeling full and satisfied until lunchtime. And if you’re one of those people who digs breakfast for dinner (um, yes!) these egg burritos hit the spot when you need something quick and easy.
Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
I can’t share a recipe like this without mentioning that these are a meal prep WIN. Double or even triple the recipe and roll up an extra 4-8 burritos to pop in the microwave when time is tight and you need a balanced morning meal.
Once you assemble and roll them, let them cool for 10-15 minutes. Wrap each one separately in cling wrap and store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 weeks. Unwrap and microwave for 2 minutes on 70% power when you’re ready to eat!
Healthy Breakfast Burrito Recipe
This recipe is simple enough that my boys can easily get involved in the prep and cooking, and then they assemble their own burritos.
If you make this recipe, we’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #THEFRESH20 so we can see what’s cooking in your kitchen.Print
Hearty, flavorful breakfast burritos with fluffy eggs, savory sausage, nutritious kale and melted cheddar.
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 12 ounces turkey sausage
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 bunch kale, chopped (2 1/2 cups)
- dash of salt and pepper
- 8 eggs, beaten with 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 4 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- Heat large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add onions and sausage, crumbling sausage as it cooks, about 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, kale and salt and pepper for about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and stir often while they cook until almost done.
- Add cheese and serve scramble in tortillas.
- Serve with a side of mangoes and berries
- top with cilantro, hot sauce or salsa for more flavor
- gluten free: sub corn tortillas
- dairy free: omit cheese and milk
- Method: stovetop