Gourmet Whiskey Gravy Recipe For Turkey
Does your family have a gravy recipe for turkey that just makes the whole Thanksgiving? Learning how to make gravy from scratch seems like a fine art and a battle against lumps. Luckily, I’ve perfected this gluten-free gravy recipe to show how simple and rewarding it can be!
Have I mentioned my whiskey gravy is famous? By famous, I mean family gives me high marks and there’s barely any left at the end of our Thanksgiving meal. It’s so luscious they’ve yet to catch on that it’s gluten and dairy free!
I promise making delicious gravy can be easy. This gluten-free gravy recipe comes together in just a few simple steps and is pretty flexible.
To start, the gravy can use pan drippings or low sodium chicken broth (which is what I use outside of Thanksgiving). Next, while coconut butter is ideal for added flavor, its main goal is to add fat, so coconut oil works just as well. Coconut oil can also be easier to find and still pleases my gravy fans.
How to Make Dairy And Gluten Free Thanksgiving Gravy
Gluten free and dairy free cooking can seem overwhelming on Thanksgiving, especially when you’re eliminating both and trying to please a house full of guests. Don’t worry. I’ve learned over the years that the biggest secret is not to tell them what’s not included. Most of the time, the food is so delicious they won’t know the difference.
That’s also what makes a delicious gravy recipe for turkey and sides so important. Drizzling this decadent, rich gravy over any dinner will impress your guests.
Whiskey (I use Jack Daniels) really adds a special note to gravy. It brings an entire next-level flavor that steals the show and makes the type of flour and fat way less important. At the end of the day, homemade is homemade and when you start from scratch, you’ll end up with a Thanksgiving gravy that tastes delicious as the perfect compliment to potatoes, turkey and dressing.
Easy Gluten Free Gravy Recipe for Turkey
This gravy is simple, delicious with all your Thanksgiving side dishes, and will have guests asking for the recipe!
If you make this recipe, we’d love to see it on Instagram! Just use the hashtag #THEFRESH20 so we can see what’s cooking in your kitchen.Print
Classic, delicious Thanksgiving gravy for potatoes, turkey and stuffing, minus gluten and dairy
- 2 cups turkey pan drippings (or low sodium organic chicken broth)
- ¼ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon coconut butter or coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons whiskey (can sub white wine or lemon juice)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika (optional)
- finely chopped fresh herbs if desired
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together coconut butter/oil and gluten free flour until combined. The mixture will still look like crumbled pie dough.
- Carefully monitor as it cooks until the smell of the flour is gone and the mixture is changing color to a mocha tone.
- Whisk in whiskey (or wine or lemon juice).
- Quickly whisk in pan drippings or broth until most lumps are gone.
- Add salt, black pepper and paprika.
- Let simmer for 1-2 minutes as it thickens. Continue to whisk to avoid lumps.
- Remove from heat and serve. If desired, strain to remove any large lumps.
- Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Gravy, Thanksgiving